Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Fred First

Fred First started a private blog in March of 2002 named “Fragments from Floyd” and made it public in April of the same year. Fred was asked what the first weblog he ever read was, and stated that it was Chris Pirillo’s which was about families collaborating with each other while planning vacations. The thing that appealed to him most about the blog was the fact that instead of just hitting save for himself, it went straight to being published and would be instantaneously available for anyone in the world to read. Fred is a very interesting blogger and I feel like him and I would have a lot in common. I thought the reason he started blogging was very interesting, he explained in the interview that blogging was his way of blowing off steam from work as he needed to talk out the anger and frustrations that it brought him. Writing or venting about my misfortunes and mishaps also relieves some of the stress I have just like it did for Fred First. Along with Fred, making a blog would be for personal gain rather than money or any other perks it may come along with although money and perks would not be a bad thing. Fred first gave advice for new bloggers in this interview, he stated that the first step is to find your voice and to not try to be all things for all people. He also mentioned writing from the heart, which for me, is the only way any writing should be done. Fred first blogs in order to better connect with himself, those who read now, and those down the road who will read his blog. Another interesting response Fred gave was when he was asked how his weblog has changed his life. He answered by explaining that it is his way of taking pictures, a blog can snapshot a moment, thought, or scene. Along with this, he stated that he has made friends through his blog.  After reading Fred First’s interview, I can tell he is a very interesting man that is extremely down to earth. One of the last questions in the interview was “what is the most telling thing about you?” and he answered with "One characteristic about me that is more or less evident on the blog and the book is that I am readily amazed and often in awe of nature, human and otherwise. This reflects a genuine and life long sense of wonder -- a trait that has made me, at times, a successful biology teacher and which sustains me as a nature and place blogger and writer. This answer adds to my perception that him and I are very similar as writers and wonderers.

No comments:

Post a Comment